The core language taught at Cherry Tree Academy is French. Our planning is based on the Wakefield scheme of work which covers all the components of the Programme of Study. It is the intention that all children in KS2 will access first quality teaching of French in order to adequately prepare them for KS3.
Our aims in teaching a language
• To develop an interest in learning other languages.
• To introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating.
• To encourage children’s confidence and creative skills.
• To stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language.
• To encourage children to be aware that language has a structure and that the structure differs from one language to another.
• To help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries.
• To develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
• To lay the foundations for future language learning.
Evidence of Standards and Teaching
Evidence to be added by the end of the academic year.
Evidence of FBV and SMCS Statements:
Within MFL at Cherry Tree Academy we actively promote British Values (the key values of mutual respect, diversity and plurality) through our curriculum and teaching. There is a strong emphasis on promoting cultural values and traditions of other countries and global citizenship. We aim to allow children to understand more about French culture and society and their traditions, festivals and ay of life and this in turn encourages tolerance and mutual respect of others.
-sense of enjoyment and fascination in learning about themselves, others and the world around them, including the intangible
-use of a range of social skills in different contexts, including working and socialising with pupils from different religious, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds
-use of imagination and creativity in their learning